How to improve your English speaking skills?
Even though it originated in the Land of Shakespeare, the English language is now the language with the highest number of speakers around the world, of which the overwhelming majority are not native English speakers. English has grown to become the de facto language for business and trade, and generally serves as the default link language for people whose native languages are different from each other’s. English is a fairly straightforward language, and its relative ease has made it hugely popular around the world for people wanting to talk to people from other countries. In this blog, we share with you some of our tips on how you can improve your English speaking skills.
1. Speak as much as you can The more you speak a language, the better you will get at it. Try and speak in English with as many people as you practically can, and do not be afraid of making mistakes! This will help you get familiar with - and in turn, improve - your vocabulary, pronunciation and grammar! Practicing more will also give you more confidence.
2. Listen keenly Listen closely when you hear someone speaking in English. To improve your listening comprehension of the English language, listen to English songs, news reports in English and even interviews. Every little bit helps! You could even try imitating the sounds you hear, as this will help you gain mastery over pronunciation and intonation, as well as which sounds are to be stressed and which ones are not.
3. Watch English language shows, movies and documentaries Possibly the most fun way to learn English, you should watch TV shows, films and documentaries in English. By doing so, you will get exposed to a wide range of words, expressions and talking styles. Again, try imitating the actors, presenters and narrators to improve your vocabulary, pronunciation and grammar.
4. Read aloud Practice reading a book, newspaper or magazine out loud. If you want to, read out a short story to your family and friends. Reading aloud is a great way to practice pronouncing a variety of words, and this will also help you to expand your vocabulary while making sure your words sound correct.
5. Practice in front of a mirror By practicing in front of a mirror, you get to see and hear yourself as you speak. Not only will this help you with your facial expressions, body language and posture, but it will also go a long way in helping you become more confident speaking in English.
6. Practice tongue twisters She sells seashells by the sea shore. Phrases like these which are often difficult to pronounce are called tongue twisters, and they are an excellent way to improve your pronunciation skills.
7. Focus on fluency before grammar Try and focus on getting fluent in English before diving deep into the intricacies of English grammar. The more comfortably you are able to speak, the greater the likelihood that you will be understood correctly. You can always learn grammar as you go.
8. Have debates and discussions One of the most enriching ways to get better at English is through the expression and exchange of ideas and viewpoints. Choose a topic and have a discussion in English with a friend or acquaintance. This will help you get better in articulating your thoughts effectively.
English is one of the easiest languages to learn, and speaking is without doubt one of the most enjoyable parts of learning English. Once you get going, there are numerous ways in which you can get better at speaking and, in turn, improving your grammar and vocabulary. So, speak more, interact more, and most importantly, have fun learning English!